Publishing reproductions from our collections
Reproductions of materials from Research Center collections can be used in publications or for commercial use. "Publication" applies to the use of a reproduction in print, film, video, or digital format. Fees are waived for officially recognized, non-profit organizations and for Montana news media (television newscasts or newspaper articles).
The fees below are assessed in addition to reproduction costs. Payment of fees may be delayed until publication.
Important: All users purchasing reproductions for any reason other than personal use must submit an Application for Permission to Publish (PDF) form. Requests for re-publication, reuse, or changes in use must be submitted in writing.
Books (For Profit):*
- Under 5,000 print run $15 per image
- 5,000 - 9,999 print run $20 per image
- 10,000 - 49,999 print run $40 per image
- 50,000 print run and over $85 per image
Periodicals/Serials (For Profit):*
- Under 50,000 circulation $20 per image
- 50,000 - 99,999 circulation $40 per image
- Over 100,000 circulation $85 per image*
* Fees cover one-time use, in one publication, in one language, and distribution only in North America or in one country. For one-time worldwide distribution in one or more languages, double the fees listed above. The same fees apply to subsequent editions.
Advertising and Promotion
- Local (Montana) $85 per image
- Regional $110 per image
- North American $160 per image
- Worldwide $800 per image
Commercial Decorative Use or Display
- 8x10" and under $20 per image
- 11x14" and over $40 per image
Commercial Films, Television, Videos, CD Rom, DVD, World Wide Web:**
- Local $20 per image
- North American $40 per image
- Worldwide $50 per image
** Worldwide rights for all media in perpetuity are $100 per photograph.
For any commercial use not specified above, fees will be negotiated. All materials are the property of the Montana Historical Society Research Center. Material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17 U.S. Code).
For information on permissions, contact Jeff Malcomson at 406-444-0261 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Digital or Photographic Reproduction Forms