Montana Historical Society Press

Text/HTML

MHS Press publishes regional books on the history and cultural resources of Montana. Book titles with asterisks (*) are available as ebooks from most major online ebook retailers.

The award-winning quarterly, Montana The Magazine of Western History, contains articles on the history of Montana and the West. Search the magazine index for a more comprehensive catalog of articles. To obtain prices and/or purchase back issues, email tryan@mt.gov or call (406) 444-4708. Copies may also be available at your local library or the MHS Research Center.

Subscribe now!

Montana The Magazine of Western History on Facebook Follow Montana The Magazine of Western History!

EasyDNNNewsSearch

Summer 2012

Summer 2012

Vol. 62, No. 2

Created: Thursday, June 21, 2012

Vol. 62, No. 2

The End of FreedomThe Military Removal of the Blackfeet and Reservation Confinement, 1880
by William E. Farr

Protest, Power, and the PitFighting Open-Pit Mining in Butte, Montana
by Brian Leech

Breaking Racial Barriers ‘Everyone’s Welcome’ at the Ozark Club, Great Falls, Montana’s African American Nightclub
by Ken Robison

Building Permanent and Substantial RoadsPrison Labor on Montana’s Highways, 1910–1925
by Jon Axline

Signs of the TimesThe Montana Historical Society’s National Register Sign Program
by Ellen Baumler

Categories: Publication, Magazines

Print

Reviews

Jiusto and Brown, Hand Raised, reviewed by Jon T. Kilpinen / Hedren, After Custer, reviewed by James N. Leiker / Courtwright, Prairie Fire, reviewed by Sarah Keyes / Schackel, Working the Land, reviewed by Susanne George Bloomfield / Wood, Hunt Jr., and Williams, Fort Clark and Its Indian Neighbors, reviewed by Steven Reidburn / Pasco, Helen Ring Robinson, reviewed by Alexandra M. Nickliss / Flint and Flint, eds., The Latest Word from 1540, reviewed by Thomas Merlan / Harvey, Rainbow Bridge to Monument Valley, reviewed by Lawrence Culver

On the cover

(front) Big Brownie, by Bob Kuhn, c. 1950s–1960s; (back) Montana Ore Crushing, by Ralph E. DeCamp, 1894