Steps to Listing a Property in the
National Register of Historic Places
- Contact the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) NR Program
to find out what is already known about your property.
- Obtain a
Montana Research Guide to help you research the history of the
property, and complete a
Montana Historic Property Record form to record the property.
Submit the completed form so a determination of eligibility can be
- If SHPO determines that the property is eligible for listing,
obtain the necessary National Register
- Conduct additional historical research.
- Photograph the property.
- Prepare the
- Submit nomination materials to SHPO.
- Revise nomination materials as necessary with assistance of SHPO.
- Attend State Historic Preservation Review Board meeting.
- Receive notification of listing.
- Order a