Steps to Listing a Property in the
National Register of Historic Places
- Contact the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) NR Program to find out what is already known about your property.
- Obtain a Montana Research Guide to help you research the history of the property, and complete a Montana Historic Property Record form to record the property. Submit the completed form so a determination of eligibility can be made.
- If SHPO determines that the property is eligible for listing, obtain the necessary National Register nomination materials.
- Conduct additional historical research.
- Photograph the property.
- Prepare the nomination forms.
- Submit nomination materials to SHPO.
- Revise nomination materials as necessary with assistance of SHPO.
- Attend State Historic Preservation Review Board meeting.
- Receive notification of listing.
- Order a plaque.