Ask the Librarian
- Joseph Mussulman and Mark Behan, http://www.lewis-clark.org/index.htm
- Donald Jackson, ed., Letters of the Lewis and Clark Expedition: With
Related Documents, 1783-1854, (University of Illinois Press, Urbana,
1962), p. 75, 86. Hereafter referred to as Letters of the L & C Expedition.
- Ibid., p. 95.
- Robert R. Hunt, "Matches and Magic: Just How Did the Corps of Discovery
Make Fire?" We Proceeded On, August 2000, Vol. 26, No. 3, p. 13-17.
- Jackson, Letters of the L & C Expedition, p. 70, 96,
None at this time.
- Charles G. Clarke, The Men of the Lewis and Clark Expedition: A Biographical
Roster of the Fifty-one Members and a Composite Diary of Their Activities
from all Known Sources, (The Arthur H. Clark Company: Glendale, CA, 1970),
71. See also We Proceeded On, Vol. 16, No. 1 February 1990, p. 4-11.
Hereafter referred to as WPO.
- Ken Walcheck, unpublished source.
- Gary Moulton, ed., The Journals of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, Vol.
6, p. 162. See also, Bakeless, Lewis and Clark: Partners in Discovery,
(William Morrow & Company, New York, 1947), p. 272.
- Ray Nelson, The Lewis & Clark Expedition Air Rifle: "A Great Curiosity,"
(Brainerd, MN: Makit Drafting, 2000), 2-5. The above explanation is overly
simplistic for a more detailed examination you might try The Airgun Revue
#6, specifically the article by Robert D. Beeman and his follow up in
The Airgun Letter, May 2001.
- Ibid., 5.
- Donald Jackson, Thomas Jefferson and the Stony Mountains, (Urbana: University
of Illinois Press, c1981), 26. See also WPO, Vol. 9 No. 4, November 1983,
- Ibid., 38.
- Dan Flores, Montana Magazine of Western History, "A Very Different
Story: Exploring the Southwest from Monticello with the Freeman and Custis
Expedition of 1806," (Volume 50, No. 1 Spring 2000), p. 2-17.
- Jackson, Letters of the L & C Expedition, p. 61 (Jefferson's instructions
- Bob Saindon fact sheet Montana Historical Society 10-19-87.
Back to Category
List | Top of Page
Ask the Lewis & Clark Reference Historian
If you didn't find the question or answer you were looking for, please submit
your question using the following form: